POSITION: Summer Farmers Market Manager
COMPENSATION: $16/hour @ approximately 15-18 hours per week
COMMITMENT DURATION: Mid-May through October 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May, 4th 2019
The Medford Farmers Market Board seeks a resident of Medford or a neighboring community to assist in planning the 2019 season of the Medford Farmers Market and to be the market’s on-site manager for the summer season (Thursday, June 6 – Thursday, October 17, 2019).
The market manager is responsible for operations of the weekly Medford Farmers Market on Thursdays for the 2019 season (approx. 6 hours), plus an additional 8-9 hours per week on non-market days. The market’s operating hours are 3:00-7:00 pm every Thursday. The manager will be required to participate in at least one training day and approx 15 hours dedicated to pre-market planning and advertisement. Employment will begin May 15 and will end around October 25, after wrap up at the end of the season.
The manager is required to be available for the duration of the market season and be at the market on market days to assist vendors and consumers. A successful manager will understand both the vendors’ and the consumers’ needs and work to meet these needs. The manager will report to the president of the Medford Farmers Market board of directors.
Managers are required to be available for cell phone contact with Board members on market day and for regular e-mail contact throughout the duration of their employment. Manager must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 40 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with a team of other staff members. (Also see Specific Responsibilities, below.)
The ideal candidate will have an interest in local agriculture, food, community, and/or local economies. S/he must be reliable, friendly, outgoing, self-motivated, flexible and able to problem solve quickly. Previous experience with farmersʼ markets, marketing, outreach, and/or event planning and management a plus.
The market manager is responsible for the following activities:
- Educates vendors about market policies and programs such as Market Bucks, Farmers Market Nutrition Program, frequent shopper cards, and EBT matching program
- Learn and be able to enforce all federal and state requirements for income assistance programs at the market (training will be provided)
- Staffs the market managerʼs table. Operation of the market managerʼs table includes:
- Processing credit card, debit, and EBT transactions and managing money box
- Educating guests and others about locally grown produce and local food system
- Displaying and distributing educational and promotional materials
- Collecting consumer contact information and entering it into database
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with vendors, consumers, community members, and Board members.
- Assist vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-
related information, conﬂict resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforces market rules.
- Communicates, clearly, efficiently, and regularly with Board, including a monthly written Market Report that is used in official Board of Directors meetings and minutes.
- Manager may occasionally assist vendors by providing limited setup help and brief personal breaks and by assisting vendors with sales during especially busy times.
- Set up Market infrastructure weekly (manager table, decorations, banners, etc)
- Communicates with vendors during the week including
- serving as first line of communication regarding Market issues
- sending weekly footprint of market to vendors the day before the Market
- confirming weekly attendance of vendors
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of the site before, during, and at the conclusion of each market.
- Maintains and transmits the daily records and reports required by Board on a weekly basis.
- Contribute to weekly email Newsletter
- Assist with publicity and promotion, including hanging posters and distributing fliers
- Performs other duties necessary to support the market.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO firstname.lastname@example.org