Want to get our newsletter in your inbox? Sign up!
MARKET’S BEST FRIEND
They’re insanely happy to see you. They live for long walks by the river. And they almost always cold chill patiently while you peruse the weekly selection of rosé, ravioli, and ribs at the market. Nope, not that dud you dated for, like, 2 minutes. We’re talking about your dogs! Show Fido and Fifi some love and bring them to a special edition of the Medford Farmers Market, 3–7pm Thursday at the Condon Shell. We’ve got the legendary Polka Dog Bakery selling treats for your sweeties, plus activities and info for current and future pet owners alike. Sit. Stay. Shop. Good neighbors!
WHO’S AT THE MARKET THURSDAY 9/28:
Bagel Land: Fresh bagels, breads, brioche (oh, my)
Brigham Farm: Vibrant veggies, fragrant flowers, GYO seedlings
The Brownie Center: Brownies brownies brownies brownies
Coastal Vineyards: Local wine for local sipping under local sunsets
Deano’s Pasta: Or as we like to call it, “dinner in 5 minutes”
Freedom Food Farm: Beeeeef! (& pork, veg, flour, more)
Good Roots Farm: Salad for days, the official dinner of summer
Lanni Orchards: Baskets of bounty from your favorite fruit folks
Mass Provisions: Chicken. Pot. PIES!!!!!!!!
Oat Shop: Oatmeal, treats, and iced coffee for that 5 p.m. slump
Peg’s Preserves: Because peach hot-pepper jam. Enough said.
Proletariat Cook: Crabapple butter by & for the common wo/man
Swissbakers: Where it’s always pretzel-sandwich p.m.
Venier Forge: Expert knife-sharpening services for a steal
PLUS, FOR YOUR PETS:
Polka Dog Bakery: THE local grand dames/great danes of pet snacks
INFO TABLE! Kitty Connection: Medford’s own volunteer-run cat adoption
INFO TABLE! Dog Eared Photography: Get details on pooch portraits
BONUS! Show off your pet tricks at the managers table for extra treats!
AND DON’T FORGET:
• 5–7pm: Verdegree, featuring Medfordian Elizabeth Hoffman, plays live
• Community Preservation Committee kicks it at the community table
• Commonwealth Care Alliance talks healthcare at community table #2
• With EBT/SNAP matching, you get $40 of market goodies for $20!
We interrupt our pet programming to share a special biped-only announcement: Our very own president of the Medford Farmers Market board, Mike Quinn, is playing with his new band, The Daylilies, after the market this Thursday. Catch them in Medford-adjacent Davis Square at The Rockwell, 255 Elm Street, Somerville; doors open at 7pm, show is at 8pm. This is the band’s public debut, although its pedigree—oops, there goes that dog theme again!—includes former members of such prestigious local groups as Fast Easy Women, Mistle Thrush, and Reverse. Show up, raise a toast to Mike, and shake it like a Polaroid picture of your pooch. Because our four-legged friends shouldn’t have all the fun!
PRODUCE IN A SNAP FOR SENIORS:
Talk about a popular senior: Our senior farm share, Produce in a SNAP for Seniors, is a hit! PLEASE NOTE: You must register in advance, and right now there’s a waiting list, but don’t despair! The list moves quickly. Here’s how to add your name:
- Stop by the managers table at the farmers market, 3–7 pm Thursdays at Condon Shell, and fill out an application.
- Or email our market manager, Caitlin.
- Seniors age 60 and over who live in Medford are eligible.
- For seniors who’ve received confirmation, pickup is 2:30–3:30 pm Tuesdays at Medford Housing Authority, Edgerly Hall, 121 Riverside Ave.
- Once enrolled, $5 a week gets you a bag of farm-fresh goodness from New Entry Sustainable Farming Project. Enjoy!